My Name My PO Box My Phone number My eMail address
Objective: To obtain a position that utilizes my skills and experience
Underneath that you could put the kind of experience you wish to highlight for positions you're looking for. Tailoring a resume to a job is recommended. Just sending out random resumes is not really worth your time or effort. Something like this would seem worthwhile:
Experience: Administrative assistant experienced at registering patents, schedulingappointments and recording and filing patent records. Enters orders and information quickly and accurately.
Below that is where you can put skill highlights. Again, this is very job specific. One of the main tasks in looking for work is focus. The employment department of your country/government wants you to take a job - it doesn't matter what - as quickly as possible. The fastest way of doing that is to focus on specific job types that your experience reflects. This reflects my own resume.
- Ph.D. degree in chemistry, physics, materials/polymer science, physics or chemical engineering.
- Direct R&D laboratory experience for 5+ years.
- Experience in foreign patent prosecution.
- Experience in working with business and technical teams to develop IP strategies for key technical programs.
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification.
Now all those listings can be found online in job descriptions if you have done the job and don't know what's important to say about it. Personally I always find myself at a blank when I have to think about what I did in a job. I look up the online sites and they remind me what I should be saying and what I have done. I remember it then - when you're actually doing the job, everything becomes second nature and you forget what skills you're actually using. Everybody can make an eggs, bacon and toast breakfast but what are the processes involved? It's easy to forget the detail of what you do when you do it automatically.
The next most important section to put is the latest position that you were employed to perform. Opinion is divided as to whether you try to hide unemployment by putting something in to disguise it. Women can generally get around unemployment by putting "housewife" or "raising family" as it's generally expected that women will enter and leave then re-enter the workforce. Men are regarded with suspicion if they have gaps in their careers though there is no reason on earth why they should not put "house husband" or "raising family" as plenty women earn far more than their husbands. The approach taken is entirely up to you. I put "photographer" down as that's on my business license yet the photography I do is pretty much related to the books and blogs that I write for.
October 2007 to Present
Zephod Photography Tacoma, WA
● Conducted all photo shoots in a calm and professional demeanor.
● Collaborated with clients to guarantee satisfaction with advertisements.
● Defined image requirements and planned photographic events.
● Collaborated successfully with a variety of personalities and work styles.
● Photographed special events, including weddings, parties and school portraits.
Muggle University, London; 1994 - 1998
● Bachelor of Theology
○ Italian Language
○ Crochet and tapestry of the Middle Ages
○ The Wars of the Roses
○ The 100 years war
○ Organic Chemistry
○ Italian Prose & Poetry
○ Urban Studies
○ Third World Development