Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Craigslist fun...

With all the bogus garbage on Craigslist, I thought I'd join in. The local Craigslist has a sea of adverts by photographers and for photographers ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous.

These are the adverts for photographers...

Not too many in that page. There were more further down and many more in other areas. There was no shortage of photographers advertising though...

In my opinion, its all baloney. I doubt that anybody ever gets hired from responding to a Craigslist advert and I doubt that anybody ever hires anybody that responds to a Craigslist advert.

With that in mind, I put up a spoof advert....

Within hours one person wrote back saying "This is a joke right? You have got to be kidding..." But nobody else ever responded. Clearly I need to work on it to make it sound more plausible.

Indeed, the trigger for that spoof was remembering when I advertised photography online. The contact form on my website was filled with unsolicited resumes. Then some joker entered into a long and clearly bogus correspondence about needing a photographer to photograph his dead uncle in a casket in a funeral home.

If more replies come, they'll be posted. Somehow, I doubt anybody takes Craigslist seriously.

Meanwhile, there was an advert for a "sister wife" on Craigslist. Clearly a bogus advert so, using the dating side as a control sample, I posted my own bogus advert...

Nobody in their right mind would respond to an advert like that, or would they? I waited on tenterhooks expecting a sea of outraged responses. There was only one response aside from several bots trying to get me to reveal my real email address.

The outraged response really wasn't that outraged to be honest. They said " What kind of Mormon does gross stuff like that! Are you and you're wives even attractive enough to make a woman get her tubed tied! Sounds like you want a slave not a companion"

Again, I'll post further responses but since the list of adverts grows at a phenomenal rate - all with very weird stuff, there probably won't be more responses. I think the advert will quickly be subsumed by the mass of other advertisers.

So... Craigslist adverts - genuine or not? Probably none are!

No comments:

Post a Comment