Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Happy New Year

A belated Happy New Year to all my readers. This is the start of 2015 and as a fellow blogger writes: May you receive this year everything you wished for others last year.

Today there was a discussion I followed on one of those repulsive online discussion forums in which the question was put as to whether it was possible to drop a digital SLR in favor of a smartphone.

Needless to say, the suggestion that a DSLR is just too heavy and cumbersome for the vast majority of applications was met with derision and insults. One individual thought it a good idea to write "Damn, America really is either limp wristed wimps or fat people." Sadly, this is entirely indicative of internet forums and why it's such a good idea to steer clear of them.

Is a DSLR suitable for all uses? I can really see a mom going shopping, taking a DSLR and a laptop and a MiFi pad with her then composing and taking a photo of something, ensuring the light is in the right place with her children obediently holding up reflectors and flash units while other shoppers and store staff keep out of the way. Then finally she sits down in the middle of the store for a hour while she uploads and edits the photo then connects the laptop to her mifi pad and emails the photo to her sister to ask whether this is the right gift for Uncle BillyBob.

The people on digital camera forums really need to step back and see reality. On the other hand, perhaps it's not a case of their reality being as warped as it appears but more a case of the vast majority following the old rule. Those that can, do; those that can't, talk about it.

That reminds me of my old friend from university, Paul, who now lives and works in Prague. We both went to university in Britain and he went East while I went West to the US. His comment was about people boasting and bragging about sex. Those that talk about it endlessly aren't doing it while those that are don't find much to talk about that isn't a private matter.

So, to reminisce further, perhaps the old motto of one of the clubs from when I was in university some 20 years ago is applicable: "Action, not words". Get out there and enjoy photography but don't make photography a chore. To me, hulking a great big DSLR about the place is a chore. My smartphone is always with me. I can tell you that in one year I take more photos with my smartphone than in 10 years with my DSLR.

No comments:

Post a Comment